CLARE FOCUS – WINTER 2011-2012
Drage and Tozer Opticians of Sudbury is encouraging women to throw out old eye make up, or face the risk of developing unsightly eye infections.
Helen Drage, joint partner at Drage and Tozer, said: “Out with the old and in with the new should be the motto women apply to their make up for the New Year”.
Old cosmetics, especially water based products like mascara and liquid eye liner, harbour bacteria, which thrives in wet conditions. If make up is used past the recommended use by date, women increase their risk of contracting eye infections including styes and conjunctivitis.
As a rule, mascara and liquid eye liner should be discarded three to six months after opening, with all other eye make up being replaced on a regular basis.
The Eye Love My Local Independent Optician campaign, recommends five tips to maintain eye health during the year:
- Stick to the motto “out with the old and in with the new”, throwing out and replacing all outdated eye make up.
- Clean all cosmetic brushes on a regular basis as part of a hygienic eye health routine.
- Avoid sharing eye make up with friends and colleagues, as germs can be easily spread.
- Before climbing into bed at the end of the day, remove all eye make up and cleanse the eyelids and skin surrounding the eyes.
- Eye make up is not meant to be worn 24 hours a day everyday.
- Give your eyes a break and try the natural look, allowing skin around the eyes time to breathe and regenerate.
For additional tips and advice on taking care of your eyes, and to find out more about the Eye Love My Local Independent Optician campaign, visit www.eyelovelocal.co.uk